Saturday 31 March 2018

Spring!

Spring has always been my favourite time of the year.

When I think of the springs of my childhood, I think of new shoes, a new dress and a new bonnet to wear to church on Easter Sunday. Somehow the days suddenly seemed happier and my sisters and I seemed a little freer. Because the days were longer, we could get outside after supper to play in the park across the street. Does anyone remember hanging upside down on Monkey Bars? The boys always got the baseball diamond but sometimes, if there were not enough kids to play, we might get the chance. At least until more boys showed up!

Spring circa 1956.




It feels like we wait so long for spring. And then slowly but surely, things start to change. This year the geese returned earlier than usual. Sometimes there are hundreds of them overhead. I remember the sound of them when we were in Montreal and Mike was working shift work. Late at night I might hear them honking as they flew overhead. It always brought a lump to my throat. It felt like a special treat to hear them but now we have so many and it seems like I am always running outside to watch them when I hear them calling. I have discovered that geese are much more romantic when they are flying overhead than when they are hanging out in the park messing up the sidewalks!



I know that spring is a lot slower arriving here in Eastern Canada than it is for many of you. There is still a lot of dirty snow on the ground and I know that we could still have a snowstorm or two, but today I found the beginning of new life in the garden and I saw my first robin. Maybe that is what is special about Spring... hope.


I just know this little green shoot is going to turn into something beautiful. And of course, because I cannot remember what is planted where, it is going to be a wonderful surprise!


Mike and I had a special treat today when we were invited by our neighbours to make traditional Ukrainian Easter eggs (Pysanky).  One egg took us about two hours! It is probably a lot easier when your hand doesn't shake!

As you can see Mike was pretty intent on what he was doing.



And here is my effort. I was quite pleased with it. The colours and symbols have special meanings. Leaves and flowers represent life and growth. The colour red is beauty/ love, orange is endurance and black is remembrance.




How about you? What do you like best about Spring?