Thursday 20 March 2014

Let's go for a walk

Peter and I went on one of our walks and decided to video it instead of taking still shots. As you can see, I'm not terribly steady with the camera, but hey, it's the thought that counts...



There's an interesting site on this walk, Le Rocher des Folles (The Rock of the Crazy Women). I went all the way there on another occasion, but didn't have my camera. I didn't fancy getting on the dodgy path again to film it, so I googled some images. According to one legend, the rock got its name when a mother protested about her daughter being sacrificed to the god of the river and was thrown into the river together with her daughter... Another version says that young women would throw themselves into the Vézère to avoid being deflowered by their masters when they tried to enforce the droit du seigneur - a legal right allowing the lord of a medieval estate to take the virginity of his serfs' maiden daughters.

The path looks innocent, but it's very downhill on
the way to the Rocher and quite slippery as well.

I didn't go to the edge to have a look at the river. I'm scared of heights!

This is the part of the river where the young women would meet their destiny.

We reckon the first version is the sanitized one, which can be found in the tourism office's leaflet for young people.