Thursday 5 July 2018

Travel adventures

Last Wednesday there was a ladies' lunch at the lake in Treignac for a monthly get together and to give me a jolly send off. 



I started my journey to Spain on Friday and stayed the night in a hotel in Toulouse because the train and flight timetables clashed. I noticed a hairdressing salon opposite the hotel and had the brilliant idea of retouching my roots and having a trim. Three and a half hours later, I emerged looking like a cheap hooker with yellow hair on most of my head, with brown hair at the back. Was I furious? Yes, and didn't have time to correct the total disaster. The family was very nice and said I looked good (ha ha).

Julia, Ana, yours truly and Pili (Julio's wife)
As soon as the local salon opened, I was there like a shot. Now I'm a brunette again.



The journey itself went very well, without any incidents. I received a very warm welcome. I'm staying with my cousin Julia, who's 88 years old, but looks younger than me! She was a stunner when she was young. Julia made a delicious paella on Monday, and keeps feeding me all the time. It's a very Spanish thing... She has a wicked sense of humour and finally conceded that I looked like a hooker with the yellow hair. 


Cousin Josefina, my mom and Julia at a flamenco show. Two of them seem very emotional...



Paella!

We went to see an apartment on Monday afternoon. It's very well equipped, with top of the range appliances and comfortably furnished, with a/c and all that. The only snag is the old fashioned decor, with a lot of gold and horrendous pictures on the wall. The owner used to live there, so I kept quiet, not desiring to offend. I sent the link with photos to Billy and he agreed it looks like a museum, so we decided to call it a tourist attraction. Hey, if I have enough beds,a kitchen and somewhere to sit, the rest is immaterial. The rent is very reasonable for the location, a prime spot in Armilla. The building's entrance is spectacular, with marble floor, many beautiful potted plants and a modern elevator.









All I need to do now is register as a resident, open a bank account, transfer my pension and join the all-free, excellent Spanish health system. Julia's daughter is helping me navigate all the bureaucracy involved in the process. 

It's all very exciting and positive. Hasta la vista, amigos!

[I'm beginning to think in Spanish, a good sign.]