Monday 9 September 2019

A Quick Trip To The North Shore

On Saturday, DH and I joined my brother and his girlfriend for an afternoon trip to Gloucester, MA.  The weather was beautiful, a perfect day for a road trip.

My brother's girlfriend is Austrian, and she wanted to check out this market which was on our way.  While we wandered around looking at all the European goods, she ordered Grilled Leberkäse sandwiches.  She kindly bought one for us, but it wasn't our cup of tea, as it was veal loaf.


I found my favorite candy there, and bought one bag of each available flavor.  I was thrilled to see them, though the price was a bit of a shock - $4.50/bag.



From there, we went straight to Gloucester.  It's a real fishing community, though has gained a bit of celebrity as the location of the book and movie The Perfect Storm and the TV show Wicked Tuna.  

First stop was Stage Fort Park, site of Gloucester’s first settlers in 1623.  We walked on the trails overlooking the water.  The coast is very rocky and just gorgeous.



Next, we went to the Gloucester Fisherman's Memorial.




In front of the sculpture are ten granite monuments with the names of those men from Gloucester who drown or were lost at sea.  Over 10,000 fishermen, dating back almost four centures, are honored on the bronze plaques.



The next stop was downtown, where we windowshopped and looked at the sites before stopping for a quick pre-dinner libation at a hotel's restaurant situated in an old warehouse on the harbor.







Next stop, dinner at the Azorean!



The menu was quite extensive, making the decision about what to order a little daunting!!





It was delicious!  DH and I had haddock, my bro had a medly of fish over linguine and his gf had an assortment of tapas.




Between the food, walking and fresh air, I was exhausted, and fell asleep in the car on the way home!!


I hope everyone had a great weekend, and has a fantastic week ahead!!