Sunday 2 November 2014

Attractive food for young eaters


*********************************************************************
I have an update about Tom from Phuket:

Hi Regina,

Yes, that is me “lurking” in the shadows of “What Time is O’Clock”. When I rise at 0500 you’re the second spot I check on the Internet (after my emails). I enjoy the photos, stories, etc., though seldom get to the comment section, though your reposting of my photo got my curiosity up and I did this morning.

Phuket is still a wonderful place to visit, or as I did more than twelve years ago, move to. It’s an island (and the pronunciation of the name is done with a silent “h” – so Poo – ket with accent on the ket), a bit smaller than Singapore 543 sq. kms. And has a population of half-a-million or so – though with the migrant works and tourists that figure is low (last year we had 7.5 million visitors). Phuket is one of the most popular tourist destinations in Asia – we do have 650 hotels with more than 40,000 rooms. The largest number of tourists come from China, Korea, India and Russia – we have direct flights to Moscow, Hong Kong, Seoul, Dubai, Tehran and most capitols of the SAE Asian countries.

A few statistics about our weather – average temperatures run from 27-29 C (81-83F), with highs in the lower 90’s F. Month with the most sun is April, with the most rain is September, coolest temperatures January, hottest March.

A few personal notes: I am originally from Washington State (U.S.A.) and after visiting more than 40 countries chose Thailand for my retirement, and have not regretted it – though as with anywhere, one can get frustrated with situations. I am in good health at 75+ years and walk 4-5 kms a day. I do research projects on various subjects (thank goodness for the Internet) and care for a dozen pet birds (parrots, finch, etc.).

If anyone has questions about Phuket, visiting, living here, etc. I can try to provide answers or suggestions on where to find the information. Am sometimes a bit slow in replying to emails.
Enjoy your postings – most mornings I get a chuckle or out-loud laugh to start my day here and that’s why I keep coming back every day. Started reading you back in 2008.

Best regards,

Phuket Tom

There you are, it was Tom lurking after all these years!

*********

While looking for Tom's photo on the old blog, I came across some lovely contributions from people who also contribute to WTIOC. I'll post them some time soon. Watch this space...