Thursday 19 July 2012

Family

I had a strange day today. The weather wasn't all that wonderful, so we decided to stay at home. Billy and Sandra kept themselves busy, working out, cutting the grass and getting on with other exciting chores while I scanned dozens of old photos for a private Facebook group (family only) created by one of my nieces. The family is very large and we live all over the world: Brazil, Spain, France, the States, England and Australia. Everybody has been very busy posting their photos, which made us miss our dear departed relatives and also sparked some lively discussions about the identity of one particular baby. After a lot of detective work, we decided it was a photo of my eldest niece. That was fun!

One particular picture brought back very fond memories of a remarkable man, my proudly Spanish grandfather:


Needless to say, I'm incredibly homesick, but the word is not quite accurate, what I miss right now is not a place, it's a different time, a time when the people I still love very dearly were still around... which brings me to a paradox: If I were to go back in time, quite a number of people who are here now wouldn't exist! If only we could merge the past and the present (only for a while), we could all have a big family party. That would be something!