Tuesday 7 January 2014

Things that need to be done

I've been keeping some things from you...

I had some weird symptoms at the end of October, which led to many tests in November. I have a partial obstruction of my abdominal aorta and of the right femoral artery. Too many years of eating the wrong things, plus smoking heavily, was bound to cause some problems.

So... I go into hospital tomorrow and will have surgery on Thursday to fit a couple of stents. There will be posts as usual: I scheduled one week's worth of posts to keep things going.


The down side is that there's no wi-fi at the hospital, so you'll have to be patient regarding any news. The surgeon said I would be in for three days, because he thought I would have an epidural or a spinal block, but the anesthetist decided to go for a general anesthetic when he saw my medical history. I had transverse myelitis in 2000 and after consulting with a neurologist, the anesthetist thought it could be risky to mess with my spine. Having general anesthetic will possibly extend my stay in hospital to between five and seven days.

The other downside is the hospital food. A few weeks ago I had to spend a day having various pre-surgery tests and they gave me a very nice room. Lunch was included, but I wouldn't offer it to a pig! I asked the nurse if the food was always so "delicious." She laughed and said yes, it's always incredibly delicious.

We're going to take a lot of our own stuff!