Wednesday 10 July 2013

Thunderstorm

We woke up this morning to clear skies, but it was very humid and hot. We had our lunch and observed clouds gathering. Then all hell broke loose: Thunder, lightning, hail, you name it. It has been very hot and dry for days, so the rain raised a lot of steam off the roofs, resulting in very thick mist all around us.


There is an entrance lobby leading to Dominique's and our front doors, which partly flooded, as the rain was almost horizontal. The power went out, so Peter and I just sat in the kitchen, waiting for the whole performance to end. That was the moment I remembered opening the roof window in my bedroom this morning, to air the room a little bit. Peter had done the same in his bedroom, but luckily, he opened his just a little, unlike me... My bed is completely wet, the carpet is wet, clothes in the laundry basket are wet. I'll be sleeping in the spare room tonight. Peter was lucky, only the carpet directly under the window got wet.

Pirouette kept running around, tearing her hair out in a panic. Pirate was out at the time, but he has just arrived, looking very slim, wet to the bone. Peter dried and fed him and now he's getting ready for a nap on Peter's computer chair.

I thought all the rain would cool things down, but it's still incredibly hot and humid.

The silver lining is that our plants had a good drink...