Monday 12 November 2012

A trip down memory lane

Brazil is a Catholic country and 99% of the children in my school came from Catholic families, mainly of Italian origin. Our family didn't embrace any religion and thoughts about faith had never entered my young mind.

I was a typical tomboy, playing football (soccer) with the boys, climbing anything I could find and getting into trouble quite regularly.


When I was in the first year of primary school I was chosen to be an angel. Yes, an angel...

The children in the year above were ready for their First Communion and the lines of children were led by angels: one for the boys, one for the girls and one little angel walked in the middle. The little one was still in pre-school and her name was Daisy. The teacher in charge of the First Communion came to my class and selected a blonde girl called Ana Maria and... yours truly. My teacher went into a mild panic because she knew I didn't fit the role very well, quite the opposite. But the other teacher insisted on her choice and that was that.

A few weeks of rehearsals ensued and the priest (Father Miguel) was horrified at the sight of an angel brawling with the boys in the middle of the aisle. They called me matchstick angel and I didn't like it, that's all. The pre-school angel also got on my nerves because she kept going on and on and on about her gown, how much nicer it was because of the stars on the yoke and on the hem, while Ana Maria's and mine were rather plain.

The big day arrived and Father Miguel, the teachers, and I suspect also my parents, were worried in case I turned the whole thing upside-down. I didn't. I behaved really well during the actual event.


The trouble started at the party after the ceremony. Daisy was still making a big thing of her gown full of stars, so I tipped a cup of chocolate on her lap. She had to change into normal clothes and finally shut up!

I think they all learned not to mess with this angel...