Sunday 5 April 2020

Keeping Families Together

I think one of the hardest things for me these days is not being able to hug my daughters or my grandsons. It is the same for my sister, although she can see her grandchildren from 2 metres away.

We decided we needed to find ways to keep us all connected.

Here are some of our ideas.

Scavenger Hunt

My sister came up with the idea of a family scavenger hunt a couple of weeks ago.
A couple of families copped out but 3 families took part.

Cathey sent out the scavenger list at exactly 3pm. The boys were so excited they could hardly wait. The boys and I got started with some old fashioned trash texting a few minutes before the start of the hunt. They were not going to let Nanny and Poppa beat them. And they figured they wouldn't have any trouble with the third team- consisting of an18 month old and 3 year old!


At exactly 3 pm the list went up online. Four minutes later the boys had collected all of the items! Poppa and I were even beaten by the little people... ; )) Twenty dollars to the winning team. Ten to the runners up. And nothing for Poppa and Nanny.

Photography Challenge

This week I found an idea on the CBC website. I adapted it somewhat and I have strong-armed each of the families into taking part.  Party Poopers will not be tolerated.

Families can work as a team or as individuals. Each family/individual is to take a minimum of 5 photos related to the following prompts.

A closeup of something
Something you love
A favourite book
Looking out the window
Something soft
A reflection in a mirror
A silly face
Patterns.

Photographers can  make the photos as interesting as possible. They can edit their photos if they want- eg. crop them. The photos are to be sent to me by Sunday evening and I will make them into a photo book. I just need a catchy title! Anyone?

I received some photos from the boys already. They are working on it together but each taking their own pictures. Apparently they spent most of the day planning their shots.  I think their photos are amazing! And not just because I am their Nanny.


Something loved

A close up

A Pattern

Something loved
Mike sent his in as well... LOL!


Need I say more?

Storytime

Each night my daughter and the boys get themselves really comfy and  Face Time with me. Then I read them a chapter from a Young Adult Novel. They chose one that is based on a true story and it is pretty serious.  The book is called A Long Walk to Water by Linda Sue Park.

The New York Times bestseller A Long Walk to Water begins as two stories, told in alternating sections, about two eleven-year-olds in Sudan, a girl in 2008 and a boy in 1985. The girl, Nya, is fetching water from a pond that is two hours’ walk from her home: she makes two trips to the pond every day. The boy, Salva, becomes one of the "lost boys" of Sudan, refugees who cover the African continent on foot as they search for their families and for a safe place to stay. Enduring every hardship from loneliness to attack by armed rebels to contact with killer lions and crocodiles, Salva is a survivor, and his story goes on to intersect with Nya’s in an astonishing and moving way.

Reading this novel reminds all of us that having to stay in our houses really isn't a big deal.
Storytime is my favourite time of my day.

Does anyone else have any good ideas to share?