Tuesday 7 August 2018

You Never Know...

I came across this little video yesterday. It made me feel so happy.

A young man playing for money on a street corner. Four irrepressible young men happening by.






When I started digging, I discovered that there is so much more to this story.

The violinist's name is Wuilly Arteaga. His story is both heart-breaking and inspirational. It reminds us of the resilience of the human spirit. 

Wuilly Arteaga, 24, is from Venezuela. During last year's deadly protests against President Nicolás Maduro he stood in front of the tanks and riot police and played his violin. The National Guard destroyed his violin, jailed him, and tortured him. When he was released he found safety in NYC. 




He came from a poor family. He dropped out of school at the age of 8 and taught himself to play the violin by watching YouTube videos. He continues to speak out against injustice. 

You can read more about him here.

I am in awe at the courage of this young man.