Tuesday 21 August 2018

Andy Goldsworthy



One of my favorite environmental artists is Andy Goldsworthy.  We've seen his work here on the blog before but I think his work is deserving revisiting.  I was first introduced to Goldsworthy back in the 1980s, when my father gave me a book of his work.  I am so impressed with his creativity, and can imagine that the physical process of making his installations would be quite cathartic.  When I look at his work, I'm motivated to make my own landscape installations.

From Bored Panda:
   Andy Goldsworthy is a British sculptor, renowned in his field, that creates temporary installations out of sticks and stones, and anything and everything else that he finds outside. The son of a mathematician, Goldsworthy grew up working on farms before eventually getting his BA from what is now the University of Central Lancashire. “A lot of my work is like picking potatoes,” he told the Guardian. “You have to get into the rhythm of it.”
   Much of Goldsworthy’s work is transient and ephemeral, leading many to view it as a comment on the Earth’s fragility. But for Goldsworthy, the picture is more complex.
   “When I make something, in a field or street, it may vanish but it’s part of the history of those places,” he says in another interview. “In the early days my work was about collapse and decay. Now some of the changes that occur are too beautiful to be described as simply decay... ”

I hope you enjoy these as much as I do.