Monday 23 April 2018

Photography


When I turned 60, I decided I wanted to learn more about how to take really interesting photographs. I bought a very expensive Nikon and enrolled in a night class at the college near us. Unfortunately the teacher was not very good. And I don't think I ever really learned how to operate this very complicated camera...and it got heavier and heavier as I got older. So eventually one Christmas I gave it to my son-in-law.  Today it seems like the cameras and smart phones do all the work for you. I really don't need a fancy camera. I just need to get at it.

So what makes a great photograph?


“I think what makes a great photograph is if that photograph tells a story. And it can be a very simple story, but it has to evoke. It will speak to you and it will speak to everybody in a different way.”





There are photos that have been shared by our friends on WTIOC that draw me in. I love to see the photos we share. I remember seeing photos by Irish Girl that were very powerful. And another of a young What Timer on a fence looking out over a ball field that really moved me. Shapeshifterbelly has shared beautiful photos that are rich in texture and composition. 

We have gotten to know each other so much better through the photographs that we have shared. Amy's garden, Duncan's antics, Regina and Peter's walks, Q's Cape Cod, all come to mind. They all speak to me. 

I guess there is no one way to make a great photo. Photography is like art. It is subjective. And we don't have to try to make it great. It just needs to speak to us in some way.

With this in mind, here are some of my favourite photos. 


Northern Quebec






Prince Edward Island







An old barn on my friend's property.

The St. Lawrence River




I would love to see some of your favourite photos.