Monday 17 June 2013

Mise à jour - Le jardin

It's a garden update, really.

It stopped raining long enough for the potatoes and tomatoes to recover. The poor things were drowning!

Amy will be comforted by the fact that French slugs are just as greedy and despicable as their American counterparts. I'm a bit of a sadist when it comes to these slimy creatures and love to sprinkle salt on them.

Fortunately, only one of our potato bags was the target of a very vicious attack by the slugs from hell. I made a barrier of coarse salt around all the bags, just in case.

The slugs almost destroyed the potatoes in the blue bag

Remember the wild strawberries growing on moss? I thought that if I planted them in containers with soil, we would be feasting on delicious strawberries by now. Ha ha ha, not so. The other day I was googling weeds and found out that my lovely wild strawberries are in fact weeds. We've been nurturing weeds for a year now. Duh!


The pots on the steps are doing well. Not everything has started flowering yet, but I think it looks ok.


Please note the weeds at the bottom of the steps. Since I took the photo and noticed their presence, they have been duly dispatched. .

The forecast this week promises quite a bit of rain. As long as it doesn't go on and on and on for weeks on end, I'm ok with it. It saves some watering...

We plan to have some barbecues on our little patio this summer. What could be nicer than some meat with homegrown new potatoes and extra fresh tomatoes?