Wednesday 8 August 2012

Two is a crowd

MD sent me a collection of unusual photos, including this one:


I did a bit of searching and found out the population has doubled recently.

Buford was founded in 1866, during the construction of the Transcontinental Railroad in Wyoming. At its peak, the town boasted a population of 2000.

Don Sammons moved to Buford in 1980 with his wife and son. In 1992, he purchased the town. His wife died in 1995, and his son moved away around 2007, making him Buford's only resident.

The town, consisting of a convenience store, gas station, and modular home on 4 hectares (9.9 acres) of land, was put up for sale after Sammons decided to move closer to his son.

The town was put up for auction on April 5, 2012, with the highest bid of $900,000 by two unidentified Vietnamese men.


I focused on just one of the pictures because I can't imagine living in a place like this by myself or with just one other person!

I'll publish the other photos another time. Thank you, MD.