Saturday 23 June 2012

Too modern for me


Picture this: A guy is going out with a girl he disappointed three years ago but who still loved him enough to take him back and has supported and believed in him for the past six months.

Out of the blue, he refriends his latest ex on Facebook. It doesn't go down very well with the long suffering present girlfriend. Not content with the refriending, this guy goes on to post a comment on an old photo of himself lying with the ex on a beach like two lovebirds: "I would give the world to have this back."

Am I too old-fashioned to think that this is the behaviour of a cad? Am I out of step in thinking that Facebook is not the best place to break up with your present girlfriend in such a sneaky but very public way? Am I a lunatic to believe that a real man does it face-to-face, in a compassionate and considerate way, giving the girl a chance to say how she feels in order to achieve some closure?

I don't know if I'm finally getting too old for these newfangled social network interactions, but I'm very disappointed in somebody very near to me and I needed to vent!